Shop Manager – Smiths Falls, Ontario
Responsible for the overall management of both shop locations in Smiths Falls and Trenton, ON. Prepare, coordinate, assign and oversee the work of all tradespeople working within the shop as well as at some work sites. The Shop Manager is responsible for the effective supervision of all people working in the shop, ensuring that quality standards and productivity requirements are met.
Your Role As Leader:
- You will be a motivator and provide leadership and supervision to all shop staff including the tool crib, paint booth, vehicle maintenance and shipping/receiving.
- Drive continuous improvement through measurement of quality and productivity and a bias for action.
- Solution focused approach to all obstacles impeding the successful delivery of projects.
- Work closely with project management, supervisors, engineering and quality teams to achieve successful project outcomes.
- Develop and implement new business strategies for creating or refining processes and procedures to improve performance and quality.
- Role model health and safety best practices.
- Schedule and ensure completion of preventative maintenance on all shop equipment.
- Recommend new equipment purchases based on need and workload.
- Coordinate the maintenance and repair of facilities (facilities management).
- Prepare yearly report to recommend capital equipment purchases, supported by relevant data. Ongoing review and recommendation throughout the year is also required to assess purchases on an as-needed basis.
- Supervise and instruct all employees or subcontractors working in the shop to ensure best practices are being followed and the satisfactory completion of projects.
- Inform/train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies.
- Ensure compliance with company standards for cost control, waste reduction, product quality, and health and safety standards.
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and coordinate work activities when necessary, with other members of the team.
- Prepare tenders, budgets, estimates and quotations along with schedules to complete projects.
- Liaise with vendors and purchasing team to source and requisition materials and supplies.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of manufacturing technology and safe operating techniques.
- Provide support and expert opinion to other teams in the field and/or shop.
- Management of the vehicle fleet including all trucks, trailers and other mobile equipment.
- Is accountable for and assists in the development of weekly schedule with other members of the supervisory team.
- Other duties as required
To Be Successful You Will Need:
- 5 + years of experience in a supervisory position in a shop environment.
- Diploma/degree in engineering and/or Red Seal Certification as a welder or millwright.
- Proven mechanical abilities in an industrial environment.
- Ability to manage one’s own work as well as the work of other’s in an independent manner.
- Experience with routine maintenance operations.
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to work with customers, suppliers and employees across all levels and departments, including business development, engineering, quality, health and safety, maintenance and human resources.
- Ability to co-ordinate and schedule workload with other supervisors, trades, sub-contractors, etc. to ensure timely delivery of quality parts.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office productivity suite.
- High degree of resourcefulness, flexibility, and adaptability.
- Strong project management skills.
- A solid understanding of all applicable trades and techniques.
- Must be able to distinguish colors
- Valid driver’s license with a clean record
- Must be able to push, pull and move equipment and/or supplies in excess of 100 pounds.
- Commitment to quality and safety
Benefits for you and your family:
- Health, Dental and Vision Care
- Life, LTD and Critical Illness Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan – Company Contributed
- Uniforms and Boot Allowance
Kilmarnock Enterprise provides a collaborative and caring culture and the necessary tools and support for you to succeed. If you are energetic and eager to be a part of a great team, we would love to hear from you. Forward your resume to HR@kilmarnock.ca or use the Apply for this Position form below.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Why work FOR us?
WE ARE COMMITTED TO OUR EMPLOYEES HEALTH AND SAFETY This is a top priority for us. We have a full time Health and Safety Coordinator who is responsible for all internal safety requirements, and we continuously invest in best practices related to health and safety.
WE HAVE COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS We offer competitive wages along with comprehensive health, dental and vision care benefits. We have RRSP/DPSP with company matching up to 2.5% of your base salary.
WE INVEST IN OUR EMPLOYEES PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT We offer a minimum of 25 hours of training per year for every employee. Also, the wide variety of work we do across diverse industry sectors offers unique opportunities for skills development. This is the #1 reason why our employees love to work here!
WE HAVE UNIQUE PERKS We offer the opportunity to use the shop and equipment for personal use, we provide a boot allowance, uniform provisions, community involvement, team events and company parties.
WE LOVE SOLVING COMPLEX PROBLEMS We solve our clients’ complex problems by collaborating with each other and working together as a high performing team; and we have fun doing it. We hire skilled people that others want to work with!