Estimator in Smiths Falls or Trenton, Ontario
Apply for this Position
The Estimator is responsible for the preparation of cost estimates for fabrications, projects, installations or services that aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. The job involves assessing material, labour and equipment required and analyzing quotes received from sub-contractors and suppliers. The Estimator shall prepare competitive estimates while considering all aspects of the project.
TRUST means we will trust each other to be accountable for our actions. We accept the consequences of our actions and inactions. We realize we are not perfect. When we err, we will admit our error and learn from it.
RESPECT means we will respect the dignity of each other, our clients, our suppliers and everyone we come in contact with.
INTEGRITY means that as a corporation and as individuals we will always do what is right. If we have to ask ourselves the question, “is this right”, we already know the answer.
PROFESSIONALISM means we will conduct ourselves in a professional manner in all of our dealings, so that as members of the Kilmarnock team we can always be proud of the way we conduct ourselves with everyone inside and outside the company.
- Review contract documents – identify risks, assist management with the bid / no bid decision.
- Analyze blueprints and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials and labour estimates.
- Consult with clients, vendors and other company personnel to discuss and formulate estimates and to resolve issues.
- Use feedback from Project Managers to assess cost effectiveness of products, projects or services.
- Assist Project Managers in estimating change orders.
- Prepare estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organization and scheduling work.
- Assist procurement and Project Managers to identify compliant vendors and subcontractors.
- Review material and labour requirements to decide whether it is more cost effective to produce or purchase components.
- Prepare awarded job packages for shop fabrication / field installation. This will include procurement of necessary material and the assembly of pertinent drawings and documentation essential for the completion of the job.
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Using feedback from Project Managers, establish a database of actual hourly productivity rates for various millwrighting, piping, fabrication and machining activities.
- Degree or diploma in the trades and also in purchasing, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal and written.
- Excellent customer service skills and negotiation abilities.
- Ability to read and analyze blueprints, schematics, field drawings and plans.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong attention to detail.
- 24/7 availability may be required
- Travel to the site, and off-site locations will be required
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Overtime as required
- Hazards associated with the trade
- Work both indoors and outdoors
- Will be exposed to project sites