IT System Administrator & Automation Controls Specialist - Smiths Falls, Ontario
Apply for this Position
The IT System Administrator & Automation Controls Specialist will be responsible for the installation, support/maintenance of servers and/or other computer systems. The individual will also plan for and respond to service outages and other technology issues. In the System Administrator capacity, the role includes provision of support and maintenance of the enterprise ERP solution (Epicor) and related peripheral hardware and workstation configuration.
This role will require the individual to work closely with the engineering department to provide competent and effective automation and controls support internally and externally to our client base. With PLC and HMI programming and troubleshooting knowledge the duties include design of industrial control systems, the identification, troubleshooting and repair of problems in automation, instrumentation and controls systems that occur in production equipment and processes.
TRUST means we will trust each other to be accountable for our actions. We accept the consequences of our actions and inactions. We realize we are not perfect. When we err, we will admit our error and learn from it.
RESPECT means we will respect the dignity of each other, our clients, our suppliers and everyone we come in contact with.
INTEGRITY means that as a corporation and as individuals we will always do what is right. If we have to ask ourselves the question, “is this right”, we already know the answer.
PROFESSIONALISM means we will conduct ourselves in a professional manner in all of our dealings, so that as members of the Kilmarnock team we can always be proud of the way we conduct ourselves with everyone inside and outside the company.
System Administrator Job Duties
Reporting to the CEO, the incumbent works within a team supporting the organizations’ business systems. The system administrator monitors all system alerts and assists to resolve issues in system hardware and software. Other duties include scripting/programming and project management for systems-related projects.
- Maintain/support Epicor installations – users and hardware
- Lead continual improvement program to provide continuing training for Epicor users
- Support and train new hires in their Epicor roles
- Manage the configuration/operations of client-based computer operating systems
- Monitor systems daily and respond to usability concerns
- Create and verify data backups
- Provide technical support for both hardware and software user issues
- Respond to and resolve service requests
- Upgrade systems and processes as required for enhanced functionality and security issue resolution
- Administer IT infrastructure, including firewalls, databases, malware protection software and other processes
- Review application logs
- Install and test computer-related equipment
- Other duties as required
Automation Controls Specialist Job Duties
- Understands how to read and translate the information found within PLC code, schematic wiring, ladder and P & ID process diagrams
- Understands PLC, HMI, VFD’s Servo, Sensors, Instrumentation and Industrial Control Systems, including advanced programming techniques and configurations
- Understands and can troubleshoot industrial networks including Ethernet, DeviceNET, ControlNET and others
- Must have working knowledge of data networks, switches, routers and servers
- Creates and maintains electrical schematics and manufacturing BOM’s
- Coordinates with production shop floor and manufacturing clients during debug and troubleshooting of equipment
- Provides support of continuous improvement and current equipment
- Communicates effectively with management, engineers, mechanics and equipment operators. Demonstrates equipment functions and features to machine operators
- Team player with good interpersonal/customer service skills and a positive attitude
- Self starter, ability to work with minimal direct supervision
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills with attention to detail
- Ability to describe technical information in easy to understand terms
- Degree or diploma from a recognized college or university with specialization in computer science, information technology, information management, automation controls
- Knowledge and understanding of LAN, WAN and remote site administration in a secure environment
- 2+ years experience with ERP system
- 2+ years experience with SQL server
- 2+ years of experience in a Microsoft Windows environment, Windows Server 2016, Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Office 365
- 1+ years tech support experience
- Knowledge of system vulnerabilities and security issues
- Experience with Epicor 10.2
- Hardware support experience (PC, cell phones, telephone systems)
- Support of various cad / cam suites (Solidworks, Esprit)
- Experience with Zoom/video conferencing
- Experience with Tekla and Realworks
- Experience with company website support
- Experience with Ceridian payroll system
- Experience with Sophos security suite
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Overtime may be required.
- Travel to client location, construction sites and other off-site locations may be required.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Valid Driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- May be exposed to construction sites.
- May require the use of personal protective equipment.
Together we will grow to create and provide quality products and services to exceed our clients’ expectations!
If this resonates with you, please send us your resume and a cover letter highlighting why you are the ideal candidate for this position.