Kilmarnock Enterprise Smiths Falls takes part in "Take Our Kids to WorkTM program"
November 2, 2016
What is the Take Our Kids to WorkTM program?
Take Our Kids to Work™ is an annual program in which Grade 9 (or equivalent) students are hosted by parents, friends, relatives and volunteers at workplaces across the country every November. The program supports career development by helping students connect school, the world of work, and their own futures.
Employers who register for this program are eligible to apply for the Canada's Outstanding Employers Award. Take Our Kids to Work™ is our signature program which began in 1994 in the Greater Toronto area. Today, students across Canada, from Nunavut to Newfoundland participate in the program. (source: http://www.thelearningpartnership.ca/what-we-do/student-programs/take-our-kids-to-work)
Alastair Welsh, Site Supervisor - Kilmarnock Enterprise, spent the day with his daughter Ainsley...
We asked Ainsley to answer a few questions and see how she felt about her day:
- What did you like most about the day?
- I enjoyed seeing some of the work Dad does during the day. I also liked seeing the shop and travelling to another job site.
- What did you like least about the day?
- I didn’t like all of the sitting and paperwork.
- Was there anything that you learned about your Dad during the day that you didn’t already know?
- What surprised you the most about the day?
- The amount of paperwork he has to do.
- Can you explain what you think your Dad’s job is?
- I think my Dad’s job is doing a lot of paperwork, quoting jobs, supervising job sites and working at getting the job sites running right.
- Do you think you could do your dad’s job? Why or why not?
- No, I do not think I could do his job because the quoting part has too much sitting.
- Is there anything else you would like to add about our day with your Dad?
- Not really, other than I was glad to get the chance to go and see some of what he does. I would have liked to have the chance to do more site visits, rather than all of the quoting.