General Machinist – Smiths Falls
Kilmarnock Enterprise has an immediate opening for a Machinist in Smiths Falls. You will be responsible for creating quality parts produced on various machines such as lathes, milling machines and general shop equipment.
This position will be responsible for creating quality parts produced on various machines such as but not limited to lathes and milling machines and general shop equipment according to company plans, blueprints, and other diagrams. Responsibilities will also include quoting of machining projects and communicating/updating clients on status of projects.
TRUST means we will trust each other to be accountable for our actions. We accept the consequences of our actions and inactions. We realize we are not perfect. When we err, we will admit our error and learn from it.
RESPECT means we will respect the dignity of each other, our clients, our suppliers, and everyone we come in contact with.
INTEGRITY means that as a corporation and as individuals we will always do what is right. If we have to ask ourselves the question, “is this right”, we already know the answer.
PROFESSIONALISM means we will conduct ourselves in a professional manner in all of our dealings, so that as members of the Kilmarnock team we can always be proud of the way we conduct ourselves with everyone inside and outside the company
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assist in the quoting of machining projects
- Key contact for client management and interactions
- Ensures sufficient material to complete projects
- Study and interpret drawings, blueprints, manuals, specifications or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work pieces, sequence of operations, tools to be used, materials for the job and setup requirements.
- Set up machining equipment utilized by the organization in order to ensure equipment operations at accepted standards for the type of tooling being used.
- Provide verification of dimensions of machined parts using precision measuring instruments.
- Fit and assemble machine components and parts to industry standards.
- Ensure work piece dimensions are correct and to established tolerance criteria.
- Measure, examine and test completed parts, identifying defects and ensuring conformance to specifications and blueprints.
- Set up and program as necessary CNC machinery.
- Perform preventative maintenance as required.
- Measure and mark dimensions and reference points on material or work pieces as a guide for subsequent machining.
- Detect equipment malfunctions or out of tolerance machining and adjust machine, within capabilities, controls or control media as required to ensure quality of production. Report all machine malfunctions to immediate supervisor.
- Communicate with supervisor, engineers, production control, quality, and other shop personnel for assignments and to resolve machining or quality issues.
- Responsible for keeping equipment and work area clean and orderly and perform basic preventative maintenance functions on equipment.
- Within the scope of the job requirements, will be required to adhere and comply with provincial and federal law, the Company Quality Program and procedures, Company policies and Safety and Environmental Regulations.
- Compute dimensions and tolerances and measure and lay out work pieces.
- Set up, operate and maintain a variety of machine tools including computer numerically controlled (CNC) tools to perform precision, non-repetitive machining operations such as sawing, turning, milling, boring, planning, drilling, precision grinding and other operations.
- Fit and assemble machined metal parts and subassemblies using hand and power tools.
- Verify dimensions of products for accuracy and conformance to specifications using precision measuring instruments.
- Maintain, repair and calibrate precision measuring instruments such as dial indicators, fixed gauges, height gauges and other measuring devices.
- Maintain inspection records and complete inspection reports.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of industry standards and practices.
- Maintain safe working practices
- May perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
To be successful, you will need:
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Post-secondary diploma or certification in a related field preferred.
- Completion of a four-year apprenticeship program or a combination of over four years of work experience in the trade and some college or industry courses in machining.
- Journeyman / Red Seal CNC Machinist certification preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Minimum of 1 year experience operating CNC machines such as lathes and milling machines in a heavy manufacturing environment.
- Intermediate knowledge and application of precision measuring instruments and the application of such instruments. Instruments should include but not limited to calipers, ID and OD micrometers, depth gages, indicators and scales.
- Intermediate knowledge of reading drawings and specifications with an intermediate understanding of geometric tolerance and dimensions.
- Intermediate knowledge of tool holders, cutting tools, boring bars, fixtures, inserts and other accessories used on various machines.
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.
- Must be able to communicate in English (both written and oral) as it relates to the job.
- Must be adaptable to a changing work environment, competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible shifts and changing work schedules.
- Must possess basic math skills to include but not limited to adding, subtracting, multiplication, division, geometry and algebra for the purpose calculating material fabrication.
- Ability to detect, isolate, and identify irregularities and malfunctions in machinery and equipment.
- Able to fabricate new parts to replace defective parts during machine setup, maintenance, or overhaul.
- Demonstrated aptitude in reading and interpreting blueprints, diagrams, schematics, drawings, manuals, and specifications.
- Accurate and highly analytical.
- Experience in supervising and mentoring apprentices.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude with the ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to lift and carry objects up to 100 lbs.
- Manual dexterity required.
- Frequently noisy working environment.
- Overtime as required.
- Use of PPE, including safety glasses, steel toe boots and hearing protection required.
- Able to remain standing for long periods of time.
- Hazards associated with the trade
- Travel to off-site locations may be required.
Benefits for you and your family:
- Health, Dental and Vision Care
- Life, LTD and Critical Illness Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan – Company Contributed
- Uniform and Boot Allowance
Kilmarnock Enterprise provides a collaborative and caring culture and the necessary tools and support for you to succeed. If you are energetic and eager to be part of a great team, we would love to hear from you. Forward your resume to HR@kilmarnock.ca or use the Apply for this Position form below.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Why work FOR us?
WE ARE COMMITTED TO OUR EMPLOYEES HEALTH AND SAFETY This is a top priority for us. We have a full time Health and Safety Coordinator who is responsible for all internal safety requirements, and we continuously invest in best practices related to health and safety.
WE HAVE COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS We offer competitive wages along with comprehensive health, dental and vision care benefits. We have RRSP/DPSP with company matching up to 2.5% of your base salary.
WE INVEST IN OUR EMPLOYEES PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT We offer a minimum of 25 hours of training per year for every employee. Also, the wide variety of work we do across diverse industry sectors offers unique opportunities for skills development. This is the #1 reason why our employees love to work here!
WE HAVE UNIQUE PERKS We offer the opportunity to use the shop and equipment for personal use, we provide a boot allowance, uniform provisions, community involvement, team events and company parties.
WE LOVE SOLVING COMPLEX PROBLEMS We solve our clients’ complex problems by collaborating with each other and working together as a high performing team; and we have fun doing it. We hire skilled people that others want to work with!
End-to-End Industry Solution Provider Solving Complex Problems
15 Hershey Drive
Smiths Falls, ON K7A 4T1
166 North Murray Street
Trenton, ON K8V 6R8