Mechanical Design Engineer – Smiths Falls & Trenton
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
The Mechanical Design Engineer works under the direction of the Design Manager with the input of the Project Manager. This person is primarily responsible for the design and engineering of various complex systems or machines to solve our customer’s complex problems. Kilmarnock Enterprise operates in all industries in eastern Ontario and beyond. As such, design team members are exposed to a great amount of variety. This position provides the individual with an opportunity to apply creative solutions with direct application of engineering principles.
TRUST means we will trust each other to be accountable for our actions. We accept the consequences of our actions and inactions. We realize we are not perfect. When we err, we will admit our error and learn from it.
RESPECT means we will respect the dignity of each other, our clients, our suppliers, and everyone we come in contact with.
INTEGRITY means that as a corporation and as individuals we will always do what is right. If we have to ask ourselves the question, “is this right”, we already know the answer.
PROFESSIONALISM means we will conduct ourselves in a professional manner in all of our dealings, so that as members of the Kilmarnock team we can always be proud of the way we conduct ourselves with everyone inside and outside the company.
- Communicate with customers to gather the project requirements
- Investigate any regulatory requirements associated with the project
- Create concepts and develop solutions for our customers
- Participate in the quoting process
- Perform site visits to confirm measurements as required
- Perform experiments to validate concepts as required
- Perform engineering calculations to ensure the design meets the customer specifications.
- Perform simulations to validate designs.
- Create complete mechanical assemblies with full fabrication drawings
- Interact with the trades to ensure your designs are built as per its intent
- Continuously expand your knowledge of automation & manufacturing
- Other duties as required.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
- Sense of accountability
- Good communication skills
- Creative and innovative thinking
- Commitment to quality and attention to detail.
- Degree or diploma in engineering, design, drafting, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in custom machinery design.
- Experience using Solid Works to prepare technical drawings.
- A solid understanding of common shop manufacturing methods for both small quantity and large quantity production.
- Knowledge of machine design, and mechanical elements.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics, field drawings and plans.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong planning skills
- Knowledge of local, provincial and federal workplace compliance regulations, ordinances and legislation.
- Advanced knowledge of Solid Works, including modules such as FEA, weldments, routing, sheet metal
- Experience with design to meet regulatory standards, such as CSA standards.
- Working knowledge of PLC programming and or automation system design
- Robotic programing knowledge ABB preferred. Experience with Robot Studio is an asset.
- Knowledge of additive manufacturing methods and design techniques
- Eligibility for P. Eng or LET designation
- Hybrid workplace office environment.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Overtime may be required.
- Travel to client location, construction sites and other off-site locations may be required.
- Lifting or moving up to 50 lbs. may be required.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Valid Driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Working both indoors and outdoors required
- Will be exposed to construction sites.
- Hazards associated with the trade
- Require the use of personal protective equipment.
- Health, Dental and Vision Care
- Life, LTD and Critical Illness Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan – Company Contributed
- Uniforms and Boot Allowance
- Flexible Work from home / in-office environment
- Ability to use our shop for your personal projects
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Why work FOR us?
WE ARE COMMITTED TO OUR EMPLOYEES HEALTH AND SAFETY This is a top priority for us. We have a full time Health and Safety Coordinator who is responsible for all internal safety requirements, and we continuously invest in best practices related to health and safety.
WE HAVE COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS We offer competitive wages along with comprehensive health, dental and vision care benefits. We have RRSP/DPSP with company matching up to 2.5% of your base salary.
WE INVEST IN OUR EMPLOYEES PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT We offer a minimum of 25 hours of training per year for every employee. Also, the wide variety of work we do across diverse industry sectors offers unique opportunities for skills development. This is the #1 reason why our employees love to work here!
WE HAVE UNIQUE PERKS We offer the opportunity to use the shop and equipment for personal use, we provide a boot allowance, uniform provisions, community involvement, team events and company parties.
WE LOVE SOLVING COMPLEX PROBLEMS We solve our clients’ complex problems by collaborating with each other and working together as a high performing team; and we have fun doing it. We hire skilled people that others want to work with!
End-to-End Industry Solution Provider Solving Complex Problems
15 Hershey Drive
Smiths Falls, ON K7A 4T1
166 North Murray Street
Trenton, ON K8V 6R8